Saturday, October 24, 2015

As Frank Sinatra said "It's been a very good year"

I’ve given a lot of thought to the good people that have come into my booth these last six months to look at my work. Some of my images reach out and grab them by the heartstrings, or remind them of a life-changing event. Some of my images conjure up peaceful feelings in the viewer. And sometimes they are looking at a photograph for reasons they can't even fathom. They stare at a piece not knowing for sure why they're staring at it. Some see an image that perks their interest because it reminds them of a place they might have been with a loved one in the past. “Of course, I don’t mind if you look around”, I say. Sometimes they purchase a piece without even thinking about it: an impulse buy on a perfect afternoon. The memories so thick they have to brush them away from their faces. The one constant through all the years is art is a part of our past, it reminds us of all that once was good and could be again.
It’s been a successful year by many standards and show apps are already coming due for the 2016 season and to top it off, I’ve won a few awards along the way;

  •   My photograph of Santa Rosa de Lima, Abiquiu, New Mexico has been awarded  the first place prize in the 2015 "Art of the State" competition at The State Museum of Pennsylvania
  •     First Place Prize - Bel Air Md. Festival of the Arts.
  •    My photograph “Oneida Falls” was chosen by the National Park Service for their calendar.
  •     My images and text on Elakala Falls was published by Outdoor Photography magazine.

I photograph for a living. I’ve been shooting to make ends meet since I left school. It is my way of surviving, of earning a living and of navigating this world. It is my way of bringing something to the table, contributing what I believe is the best thing I have to offer for others to enjoy. I am  in the business of storytelling. I always have been, always will be. Telling stories with pictures, bringing life to characters,  visualizing scenes and staging sequences of events, all with images that tell a story. All in exchange for a penny, a smile and a little of your time and attention.
I think that’s it. At least those are the ones that come to mind. Thank you judges, jurors, and clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment